Author: jill
•10:45 AM
It's that time of year again. If you are a mother of young children, you know what I am talking about.

It's time to organize clothes and closets.

I despise this job.

There was a time when I found this job fun. Back when I only had Caiden. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Out with the heavy wintery clothes and in with the fresh, bright summery ones. All those cute little outfits that I could dress him in ... sigh.

But that time has gone.

The other point that begs to be made is that I only had to do it for one closet; and when I did do it, little Caiden was nowhere to be found. He did not care about his clothes. He is a boy. He was busy calculating or spinning or conquerring Mario. He could not care less about what is in his closet. 

However, Marnie and Addison are not boys, and they do care (a lot) about what is in their closets. And, they like to share their opinions. So, while I am making piles, they are going through those piles. And re-organizing.

And the worst part (for me) is that I feel like I just finished doing closets. Well, Addie C.'s closet to be more specific ... click here to read more. Every time I put clean laundry away, I take note that Addison has no t-shirts or summery dresses to choose from ... because they are all in a bin somewhere in the basement. And, Marnie's t-shirts are looking a little small. But still, I drag my feet, ignoring that faint whisper that can be heard every time I open a closet door.

"Out with the old ... in with the new ..."

There is a certain orderliness that must be maintained to make this dreaded chore expeditious. Caiden's closet is easy ... first or last. Whatever. But Addsion's must always be done before Marnie's closet. That way, there is room for the things that Marnie has outgrown; because sometimes, the things Marnie has outgrown will go directly into Addie's closet. Otherwise, they go into a drawer until they do fit.

Honestly, why am I telling you this? Why are you reading it?

I have searched the Internet for tips and tricks ... something that will make things easier. Even fun ... maybe? One lady reported that she did her daughter's closet every two months. What? Does she have no life? How fast does her child grow? Although, I bet it takes her a half an hour to get the whole thing done ... instead of two hours. Or two days. However, I refuse to budge ... twice a year is the most I can tolerate - once in the Spring, once in the Autumn.

Ugh. I guess the only way to make it go away, is to do it. Just do it. Just step away from the computer ... and lock yourself in the closet, Jill. Go ...
This entry was posted on 10:45 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On April 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM , Deanna said...

I am on 2 weeks of this Jill. It IS a dreaded chore that I too despise. And yes, poor Maddie-May ends up with the hand me downs with some stains and tatters because Kaitlyn get hand me downs from her cousins etc. I wish tehre was a better way than having bin after bin of clothes stored away labeled size 4 to size 8. I guess the easier way would be to be super rich and just go shopping every spring/fall! Since that will be a long time coming for me, I will have to do something to make it through. Wine?

 
On April 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM , Kathleen said...

Actually I do it constantly. Every time I find a piece of clothing that is too small or too out of the weather I put it on top of one of the kid's dressers.

When that gets full or they have barely any clothes I go upstairs, put them away and go to the next size up box to get new clothes. I also however go and up grab something once a week or a little less because they need a certain colour shirt or a pair of pants or something and nothing is clean.

So I don't really do a big closet clean. Sometimes it's one or two items and sometimes it's more but I can't say I've ever sat down and gone through the whole dresser with the kids (we don't have closets.) I don't have to inlist the kids help because I notice when things don't fit when they put it on or I put it on them and it's too small.