Author: jill
•3:42 PM
So, it begins today. The re-making of Tiger Woods as a brand. Because the re-making of Tiger Woods as a man ... I am not so sure what to think. I can be a miserable bitch, so I am not just willing to forgive and forget. Not yet.

But I can still appreciate Tiger Woods, the athlete ... just not the man.

Once a cheater, always a cheater? Perhaps, not always true. But if Jonesy cheated, I don't think I could ever trust him again. However, Tiger didn't just cheat, did he? There was woman after woman, him actively pursuing a rendezvous with several simultaneously, bad-talking his wife to these other women, drunken parties that went on through entire weekends.

Would it be easier to forgive him, if he had one mistress that he seemed to truly care for? Instead of numerous hook-ups for sex. Just plain old, make-you-feel-good sex. As we all know, feelings do not have to accompany sex ... but it's nice when they do. And, as any good psychotherapist will tell you, emotionless sex is used as a means of filling some other void in your life, a way to make you feel good about yourself. So, what is it that Tiger Woods has been missing in his life?

We are being asked to put all this behind us now, and look to the future. The future of golf. It is the beginning of the re-building phase. The re-building of a brand and a market and a sport. Golf is nothing without Tiger Woods ... I think that has been established. The PGA has been falling all over themselves to welcome him back ... with his fans and the gawkers and their wallets.

The first phase in the re-build was the press conference. The press conference everyone tuned in to see ... where he begged for forgiveness and asked for a second chance. And ordered everyone to leave his wife alone. Perhaps, his last attempt at chivalry.



You have seen the commercial right? If not, you should. It is the second part in the re-building of a brand. He has said that he is sorry for his actions, so now it is time to consider what made him act out in that way, how he's feeling now, and what he has learned. Whoever put together this commercial was genius in my opinion. Many are saying that they are creeped out and maybe even a little offended by the use of Earl Woods voice. But not me ... I love it.

Here is why it is genius ... 

  • First, it draws attention to the fact that Tiger Woods is just a person - like you and me. No different. He is someone's son and he has made a mistake. You have a child, right? What if s/he was in trouble and had made some bad choices in his/her life? It just so happens that Tiger Woods is famous and the most successful person in his chosen profession. But, he is just a person.
  • Secondly, aren't we all accountable to our parents? I mean, if you are proud of something that you did, don't you call your parents as soon as you can? I do. And if something happens that you are not entirely proud of, don't you just dread having to call your parents to tell them? I do. For whatever reason, we are kept grounded, to some degree, from the fear of getting into trouble from our parents. The commercial brings home that idea.
  • And, finally, we should all learn from our mistakes. It is what you learn that makes you grow as a person. And many times it is a person that you respect - like a parent - that helps you to come to those realizations. Obviously, Tiger and his father were very close, and I'm sure that some of the things heard in the commercial are the same things Earl Woods would have said to his son if he were still alive. Because we cannot go back in time and change things; all we can do is learn from our mistakes we have made in the past, and move forward. Not just Tiger, but all of us.

But maybe most important reason that this commercial is genius is that it has everyone talking. Everyone. Which is great for Nike, don't you think?

So, now we just have to sit back and watch. To see if he can move forward.

I am willing to go on record as saying that I hope he kicks some ass out there on the golf course this weekend. I want to see him win. Not for Golf. Not for Nike. Not for his father. Just for him.

Just do it, Tiger.
This entry was posted on 3:42 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On April 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM , annette said...

Jill, I saw the commercial and you're right, it's genious. But it still made me scoff because I think that it's been blown way out of proportion. I've had enough of Tiger and his story. It's a personal issue. Should his wife forgive him? I wouldn't. Unless she believes that there really is such a thing as sex addiction and Tiger suffers from it. But of course, the golf world should forgive him because it had nothing to do with them. And Nike will forgive him because it's big bucks.
I want someone else to win this weekend because I think Tiger should be knocked down a peg or two.
I am pretty sure that there are PLENTY of sport stars out there that do the same thing as Tiger but just never get caught.

 
On April 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM , Deanna said...

I do not condone infidelity, but most people would not lose their jobs for it, nor should it be talked about in the workplace. I am more disgusted by the fact that everyone thinks his and his wife's business is the world's business.
Golf has nothing to do with his marriage. His mariage has nothing to do with golf. His private life should not be public rights, even though everyone tries to make it feel ok by saying 'he is a high profile figure and he should have known we would all want to know'. We can make ourselves feel better by making it sound like it should be our business but it isn't. Its just the way the people of the world have become. Its the same reason A & E has changed from a lovely "Arts and Entertainment channel" to a 24 hour window into the lives of people with problems. Maybe it makes us all feel better to see people with greater problems than ours. Regardless its none of our business. Maybe if we were concerned with the problems behind our own front doors the world wouldn't be so consumed by Tiger's nasty personal problems.

I hope he can work through this, I hope he is sincere about what he says to his wife and that he realises all that he says he does about how he strayed too far from his own personal values. But my hopes are more because he is a person, and I would hope that for anybody.

The thing is...I loved him as a golfer. I never watched the sport until the weekend he first won The Masters. He used to encompass the aura of a sweet wholesome boy who loved his parents and overcame diversity, growing up to accomplish his dream...the dream of many, reality of few. I probably would not watch golf without him in the sport. He IS golf.

He sure looked good today on day 1, I can't wait to see how the rest of the tournament goes!
As far as his personal life goes, thats up to Tiger and not the rest of us.