Author: jill
•10:19 AM
This entry was originally written in December 2009 for another project I was working on. It is the prequel to today's entry. Enjoy ...

This morning the first dusting of snow covered our lawn. Just enough to let you know that it is cold outside and windy, too. 'Cause the snow had gathered all along the curb, almost like it was trying to huddle and keep warm like the rest of us. Well, like the adults anyway. My kids were ecstatic, walking to the bus, trying to make footprints anywhere they could. Why do kids like to do that? They all do it ... if there is any amount of snow big enough to make a footprint, a child will leave their stamp. I first discovered this when we lived in that small town I have mentioned before. We were probably the only people in our neighbourhood that did not have children, but the designated spot for loading children on and off the school bus was our driveway. And those kids made footprints all over our driveway and on our front lawn. Drove me crazy. Because I like the white, undisturbed, smooth snow best, glistening as the sun hits it ... like in a picture. Not the dirty, clumpy, dull-looking snow ... like after children trample it.

This morning, when I arrived back home, I had to deal with a completely different problem altogether. My three-year-old does not appreciate the fact that it is about twenty degrees Farenheit. I agree that it is a little early for weather this cold, but it is here none-the-less. However, Addison refuses to give up the summer wardrobe, but I have not had the energy to argue.

"Oh, honey, I love your bathing suit with matching tulle skirt ..." I would comment, as I quickly grabbed my winter coat with the matching scarf and mittens and ran out the door to do some errands.

There is a long held philosophy that many parents, (and when I say "many parents" I mean Moms) subscribe to ... choose your battles. I believe very strongly in this philosophy. You cannot argue over every little thing. Or, if you can, you are a stronger person than I. I just don't have the energy. If it is a beautiful summer day and Addie wants to wear a purple flowery skirt with a rainbow striped shirt, she is not hurting anyone. In fact, she is expressing herself and Addison expresses herself a lot. Who am I to stand in the way? And most people (ladies) know that little girls who are between the ages of two-and-a-half and four years old must pick out their own clothes, in whatever sort of arrangement they choose.

"Oh, did you pick that outfit out all by yourself today?" the saleslady has asked on several occasions at several different stores. She and I exchange a knowing look or smile, and then we're on our way ... "crazy flower skirt and stripey shirt with the ridiculous hat" and I.

But this has become a matter of safety, so I have chosen a battle.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, so I did a very sneaky thing today. I took a big black garbage bag and confiscated all summery clothes while she sat happily watching the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I grabbed clothes and furiously shoved them into the bag, hoping to get it all done before I was caught red-handed. With each handful that I shoved into the bag, I felt more and more like the Grinch.

"Then he slithered and slunk, with a smile most unpleasant,
Around the whole room, and he took every last present!"
   from How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Suess (1957)

I definitely wore the smile most unpleasant as I snatched up every last article of clothing only to be worn in the summer. She has no idea that her wardrobe has been dramatically changed. Tomorrow will be unpleasant as she realizes that there are only warm wintery clothes for the pickin'.

My only salvation will be that all the kids got new boots today, too. Addison's are pink and purple with Dora the Explorer on them and they have flashing lights when you walk. All things that flamboyant three-year-olds live for. So, perhaps the new boots will be the thing that will make winter clothes okay and accepted at last.

Marnie has not taken her new boots off since she first put them on after school today.

"Marnie, are you going to sleep in your new boots?" I asked, thinking back to the days when she slept every night in her beloved Minnie Mouse shoes. It went on for months and months, until finally, they literally fell apart. There were many tears and one Nana who frantically searched all over the Orlando area for an entire winter in the hopes of finding new Minnie Mouse shoes. But it was not meant to be.

Were these Barbie boots the new Minnie Mouse shoes?

"No," she replied, looking at me like I was crazy. Then she carefully placed them immediately along side her bed for first thing in the morning. I am sure I will be greeted in the morning by one six-year-old in pyjamas and Barbie boots. As I was saying goodnight, she picked up one of the boots and turned it upside down to show me the bottom.

"Oh, Mommy," she said. "Look at these marks ... they're gonna make the best footprints. Don't you think?"

Yes, I do. I think so too.

This entry was posted on 10:19 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: