Author: jill
•5:07 PM
I wrote recently that I have a passion for words. I do love words ... but I am searching for the right one to describe how I am feeling today.

You see, the Top 10 Finalists were announced in the Mabel's Labels BlogHer '10 Contest, and I was not one of them.

Of course, I am disappointed. I wouldn't have entered if I didn't want to win ... and I didn't, so I am. Disappointed, that is. I am disappointed because I really wanted to go to BlogHer 2010, and I really wanted to go to New York City. I wanted to learn more about this industry known as blogging. And getting paid to write for Mabel would have been super fun. But I can still win the lottery, right? And then I can go to New York City any time I want to; and if that did happen - if I won the lottery - I wouldn't need to go to BlogHer 2010 because I could just hire someone else to market my blog. Then, I could just enjoy writing and someone else could worry about finding people to read it. Because that is what blogging is all about, isn't it? The writing for enjoyment? Or is it about the number of hits you get? I'm beginning to wonder ...

I guess I feel a little embarrassed that I didn't take my entry a little more seriously. I wrote my post quickly, taking a light-hearted approach. The idea came to me instantly and I thought it would be fun. This was wrong of me and I wish I would have taken some more time to think about what I wanted to say. I am passionate about words, but maybe I should have been a little more "grown-up" about the whole thing.

I feel a little discouraged. I really, really enjoy writing; I did not know that I had it in me. But I have realized that feeling forced to write is difficult for me. For instance, I wasn't going to write this post; I had planned to write about National Library Week. I researched it well - the oldest known Library, the one with the greatest number of books, etc. - and wanted to encourage everyone to check out their local Libraries because they have a lot more to offer than just books. But my heart wasn't in it. I was not inspired to write about National Library Week - at least not today. But does every writer get to write about something that inspires them every time they sit down at a keyboard? Probably not. I need to learn how to approach an uninspired task; that is, something I did not think up on my own.

I tried to take a light-hearted approach and feel like I probably came across as thoughtless and an airhead. And, I wanted to do something different. All parents are passionate about their children, right? I am a momoholic, for heaven's sake; nobody knows this more than me. So, I thought that writing about something frivolous and playful might be entertaining but perhaps, the judges were looking for something a little more substantial.

Being new to the blogging world, I have learned from this. So I am feeling enlightened. I have learned from this experience, just as you should from all new adventures.

Finally, I am feeling lucky. Because I have been introduced to some great writers and mothers, who are dealing with the same day-to-day issues that I am. Of course, only I have Addie C. Jones but all the other bloggers have families just like mine, each with their own characteristics that make them unique. And I have enjoyed getting to know all the successful ladies at Mabel's Labels ... each inspiring in their own way.

So, am I disillusioned? About writing, that is. That remains to be seen, I guess. I am just going to continue to write and enjoy myself. And if you happen to enjoy yourself too, that is great.

Please do not read this and think that I am feeling sorry for myself; or that I want you to feel sorry for me. Don't ... there is no reason. I just wanted to write down how I felt. If I had made the Top 10 Finalists, there would have been a similar post using some different words, that's all.

By the way, you may still see that post on National Library Week because there are a lot of days left in April. Here's a couple more words for you ... boring, unnecessary, uninspired. Let's hope I can find some more inspiration ...
This entry was posted on 5:07 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On April 12, 2010 at 9:08 PM , Mom said...

Just keep writing!!!! Please!!!!

 
On April 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM , annette said...

Jill, sorry you didn't win Mabel's Labels. but don't be discouraged. You're a great writer and I love to read your blogs!
Some day your kids will read them too and know you better and that's pretty cool.