Author: jill
•10:35 AM
I am married to an entrepreneur. Yes, I am. According to Dictionary.com, an entrepreneur is a person who organizes and manages any enterprise, especially a business, usually with considerable initiative and risk. I can assure you there are no lazy (successful) entrepreneurs out there; and yes, my Jonesy has lots of initiative - not in the area of laundry or vacuuming, but definitely in the realm of business. There has been risk ... a couple of times - but that is a story for another time. So, I guess he definitely meets the criteria for being an entrepreneur.

The image I found seems to describe my husband pretty well ... in fact, I'm thinking of printing off copies and having the kids colour each portion of Daddy's brain a different colour. Then, it might be fun to see which portion is the smallest and which portion is the largest. Hmmmmm.....

But, I am also an entrepreneur in some respects. I organize and manage the Jones Family Enterprise, which entails much intiative and a great deal of risk - to my sanity. Any parent who stays at home to care for small children will tell you the same thing.

The thing is ... Jonesy and I share the same office. He works from our home, and our home is my office. Now, you might be asking yourself how we manage this. It is not always easy, but we have been able to make things work. Somehow. So far.

In fact, when your husband is his own boss and he works from home, there are some perks. Not for him, necessarily; but for me. Because it's all about keeping the wives happy, isn't it?

(1) Sometimes we are rich. Like, when a big deal is finalized; or should I say ... "paid in full." There is a difference - trust me on this because I know the difference. And then, we are rich. Usually, not for long. But for those five or six minutes, it is pure bliss. And, when we are rich, we get to buy new stuff. Like a printer, or a yogurt maker, or new shoes. It is fantastic when we are rich.

(2) He is always around. Which is great because I can run down to the pharmacy to pick up something, or carelessly look at magazines, without any children - but I can only buy them if (1) is in effect. Or, I can leisurely take a shower. Or, I can send him to pick up some necessity for the last minute supper menu I have created. It is fantastic that he's around all the time.

(3) His office is always handy. His commute is approximately ten seconds. He can work when the mood strikes him. Which for a night-owl like Jonesy, can be very, very late at night (long after I have gone to sleep). Like 11pm; or even later. His business partner has mentioned receiving e-mails sent at 4am. He is never late for supper, and often we have three meals together. It is fantastic when your husband has a home office.

(4) Occasionally, I get to be in "the know." You know, like a real grown-up who is active in the business world. Instead of someone who just cooks and does laundry for a living. Recently, Jonesy's (new) company was considering logos; and, I got to indicate whether I liked it or not. Woo-hoo! I don't really think my opinion means anything, but I get to give one. If you are married to an entrepreneur, you know what I'm talking about. Occasionally, I get to know what is going on (in the business). You know, like an insider. Sometimes when a big deal is confirmed, Jonesy will share the excitement. And then I get to feel excited for him, too. Or maybe the boys come across a huge lead ... that could mean a big deal. That too, is exciting. It is fantastic when I get to be in "the know".

(5) I have learned things. I have learned a whole bunch about advertising and marketing ... this is where the money is spent in the business world. And, I have learned about Automated Charging Machines (ACMs), and just how important cellphones are to those in the business world. Because until very recently, I did not even have a cell phone; but apparently people rely on them for business. And keeping them charged has become important to stay in touch with the business world - which is where Jonesy and his new company enter the equation. Most of all, I have learned that you can own your business, and it is okay (so far). That is fantastic.

The best part of being married to an entrepreneur is watching someone you love achieve goals (long and short term). And enjoy what they are doing, professionally speaking.

Being married to an entrepreneur is fantastic, all right.

But I cannot pretend that it is all sunshine and roses. Come back on Thursday for the top five reasons it is not so fantastic to be married to an entrepeneur.
This entry was posted on 10:35 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On April 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM , Mom said...

Well----- what can I say????!!! (-: