Author: jill
•2:25 PM
The final count is forty-four ... 44 ... four, four ... forty + four ...

I was talking to my Aunt at a holiday gathering of family, and I told her that the final count  came to only forty-four books read in one year. And, I felt bad about it. But as I listened to the words leave my mouth, I realized that I shouldn't feel bad. I have nothing to feel bad about.

I read forty-four (mostly) really good books this past year ...

And, I was going to ask you how many books you read ... but to be honest, I don't care. The number of books you read does not have anything to do with the number of books I read. The number of books you read has no consequence on the number I read, and neither of us are defined by the number of books that we read in one year. I guess I, sort of, felt as though I had failed at my challenge because I did not read 100 books in one year. But, remember what I said?

"Okay, even as I am typing this challenge, I know it is ridiculous. It is unrealistic but I need to make it a challenge. If I say that I am going to read one hundred books ... that is not a challenge. Anyone could say that. The challenge will keep me motivated."

And, the challenge did keep me motivated ...

And one final thought on number of books read ... I have read several short stories for my English courses over the last semester. Books are great, but I have come to appreciate short stories in a new way these last few months. I will be writing about it soon, because there are some short stories that are a reader's dream to interpret. Stephen King has a new book of short stories out that I am dying to get my hands on ... as does Joyce Carol Oates. Look for those to be consumed (by me) in 2011.

I may have grown as a person because of what I read. I certainly learned new things, and became familiar with writers I had never read before. I did exercise my brain, which was my original intent. And, most of all, I think this little challenge lead me to return to school. Because as fun as it was to read and blog, I quickly realized that it was not enough for me. I wanted to learn more about literature, and the craft of creative writing.

I bet you want to know if I had a favourite book ...

That is a hard question to answer ... I especially LOVED A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I mean, you cannot meet Owen Meany and remain unchanged. I was pleasantly surprised by Ruth Reichl's Comfort Me With Apples, and I was fascinated by the role of the Jewish woman (in both her family and in her community) in Kaaterskill Falls by Allegra Goodman. I learned SO much from Randy Shilts in And the Band Played On; and, Alice Kuipers taught me that a really moving story can be told using very few words at all, in Life on a Refrigerator Door. And, I was both mesmerized and outraged by what I learned about the food industry. But those are just a few of many really great books that come to mind immediately. I honestly enjoyed most of what I read this year, but I also appreciated reading the ones the weren't really my favourites. Because I strongly believe that to understand what you really like, sometimes you have to explore the things you don't.

In very general terms, I find fiction is read faster than non-fiction. A fictional story often draws one in, and the reader is anxious to find out what happens ... will the protagonist reach their goal, get caught, realize their mistake, live, find their true love ... Non-fiction is often more dense, and cannot be read quickly while stirring a pot of chili with three crazy children running around - 'cause you cannot lose yourself in the story world. For instance, the difference in reading Fast Food Nation and Presumed Innocent was huge. Both really, really great books ... but read very differently. For me, anyhow.

And so, there it is. One year of reading and blogging ... done. Well, not all the blogging is done but I am working on it. There should be posts going up regularly until the Winter Semester begins .....

This entry was posted on 2:25 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On December 31, 2010 at 7:22 PM , Mom said...

Furthering your university education and all the reading you have done before and during, has definitely enriched your mind, Jill. I find it amazing that you have accomplished so much in such a short time ----and done so well! Good luck with 5 courses in your next semester. Dad and I are so proud....... love you!