Author: jill
•9:28 AM
The best things in life are the ones that are unplanned and therefore, not anticipated. A movie you've never heard of ... a sale you happen upon ... a great restaurant you stumble into off the beaten path. Even though, I had been trying to get pregnant for six years, when I did it was very unexpected ... and one of the best things that has happened to me. I am sure that I will encounter many pleasant surprises on my journey while reading one hundred books in one year ... and I have already. But none like Ruth Reichl's Comfort Me with Apples.

Reichl is the current editor of Gourmet (magazine), and she lives in New York. You know, she seems like a really cool lady ... someone I would love to hang out with. Maybe have lunch, or shop for food together ... she could show me all the great places to get real food ... and reminisce about the people she has met on her many journeys to discover what food is all about. She strikes me as the kind of person who, upon picking up an eggplant in the market, is struck by a memory and would openly share it with her companion. I want to be that companion. When I started to read Comfort Me with Apples, I didn't know who Reichl was ... never heard of her, never read anything she had written - restaurant/food review or otherwise. But now I feel like I have made a friend.

The book flutters between the movement toward real and local food in California during the late 1970s and early 1980s, and Reichl's own personal obstacles. It is beautifully written, in a way that makes you feel connected to her and take new appreciation for really good local food. And, in a sneaky kinda way, she teaches you things along the way.

Reichl travels all over the world, researching food and local culinary successes. For her, tasting food is like an epiphany. She often closes her eyes and gets lost in the food ... experiences every part of it, from the moment it touches her lips until it is lost down her throat. And, she is fearless because she will eat anything ... frogs in China, baby eels in Spain, brains anywhere she can get them. There were several things that I would never eat ... Jonesy would happily try unusual food, but you would have to trick me. In fact, on several occasions, Reichl is told to put something in her mouth before the food item is revealed. As fun as that may be for some, I would have to pass. I am too much of a control freak ... but wish I could be more free-spirited, like Reichl.

Reichl's views are along the same lines as the ones I have been writing/reading about in the past couple of weeks. Know where your food comes from ... and then enjoy it for what it is. Eat seasonally. Eat with friends - this is very important. You know, when a foodie encourages you to enjoy your food, they want you to sit down and take pleasure in what you are eating. Appreciate it. We all love brownies, right? But grabbing one off the counter and scarfing it down while running out the door to pick the kids up at school, is not the same as sitting at the table, fork in hand, and actually tasting what you are eating ... maybe pairing it with some fruit or a dessert wine. As soon as I am done with this restrictive cleanse, I look forward to sitting down with something appetizing and taking pleasure in it. Because let's be honest, sugar-free muffins and sugar-free chai lattes, are not that appetizing.

Ruth Reichl inpired me. She inspired me to keep writing. As I read about the assignments she was handed, I was so envious. So envious. I wish someone would hand me a project, and then pay me to write about it. I know now that this is something I would love to do ... but starting at the age of forty? Oh ... why do I make things so hard on myself?

Reichl makes the point that the food is not the only part of the story ... it's the people around the food. The people who make the food, the people who prepare the food, the people who share the food. That is what I love writing about ... making things personal and real for the person who is reading them. Some common thread that draws the reader in. 

There are some recipes included in the book as well. The ones that took on some special meaning ... some that I cannot wait to make. Like Channing Way Shrimp Curry, and Asparagus with Balamic Vinegar, and Miang Kam (Shrimp Lettuce Rolls) and Raspberry Ice Cream. Oh, and the Apricot Pie. Does anyone know an apricot farmer in Southwest Ontario?

I was moved to tears at the end of the book ... pick this one up ... you will not be disappointed. And check out Ruth Reichl's website to "sample" some of her writing ...
This entry was posted on 9:28 AM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On February 19, 2010 at 4:02 PM , Mom said...

Jill, I, too, hope that someone recognizes your literay talent and offers you a paying job to critique books and/or food. You certainly do a wonderful job!

 
On February 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM , jill said...

You have to say that because you're my mom!