Author: jill
•7:29 AM
Is Sunday dinner about the act of sitting down together or the food that you eat?

When I was a kid, my Mom cooked a roast of something every Sunday. Without exception. Roast beef, roast chicken, roast pork ... take your pick. Sunday dinner always included mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetables du jour, maybe a salad and a dessert. In the autumn, it was scheduled around the NFL and in the spring, it was scheduled around the PGA. But we always had a Sunday dinner.

The guests varied. Sometimes it was just us - my parents and my brother and I. Other times, my grandparents would join us. As time went on, Jonesy was included too.

I am fairly certain that if I unexpectedly stopped by my Mom's house on any given Sunday, there would be a roast of something in the oven.

I am not all about the roast of something Sunday dinner ... but I do try to make a Sunday dinner that takes some extra effort. Because Sunday is also my laundry day. So, in between loads of clothes, I try to get a little creative.

Recently, I made a chocolate fondue for dessert for my kids. They loved it! It is easy to make ... melt some chocolate (semi-sweet or bittersweet) with a small amount of whipping cream. A rich, creamy chocolatey dip results.

Along with the chocolate, I served cubes of pound cake, a variety of dried fruit, fresh fruit and some crunchy cookies. You might think that it was all about the cake and the chocolate for the kids. Nope, they chose all different things from the plate and dipped it all in the chocolate. Raisins dipped in fresh chocolate fondue are out of this world. Caiden reports that he enjoyed the bananas dipped in chocolate best ... hard to argue with that.

Recent reports in the media  say that eating chocolate can be part of a healthy diet. So, the way I see it, mixing some fresh or dried fruit with chocolate fondue cannot be bad for you. The other thing to consider is that everyone lingers around the table together for a little longer. Sharing their favourite combinations, or what not to try ... Just sharing time together.

Try it sometime ... I guarantee your family will like it.
This entry was posted on 7:29 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On April 18, 2010 at 10:07 AM , Mom said...

Great idea and I love that picture of Caiden. He definitely looks like he enjoyed his chocolatey dessert!!