Author: jill
•11:03 AM
I think it is fair to say that I do not like surprises.

I am a planner. I make lists, I plan my days, I set goals. I do not fly by the seat of my pants and I do not wait to see what the day brings. I plan it. Or, I try to and when something unexpected happens, usually I am not thrilled about it.

What if someone showed up on my doorstep with a cheque for $1million, you ask? Surely, I could deal with that kind of surprise, right? Of course, I would be thrilled, but I would secretly wish that I had known they were coming ... you know, so I could prepare myself a little.

But sometimes, it is nice to be pleasantly surprised. And yesterday, I was.

You might recall that I entered a blogging contest in March ... I had to write about that which made me passionate. I wrote about words. And, although I did not make the Top 10, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and have made some great connections with other mommy bloggers.

But I also learned about the wonderful women who make up Mabel's Labels. I am not just referring to the company, but to the individuals as well.

Shortly after the Top 10 list was announced, I received an email from Caitlin Madden at Mabel's. She wanted to thank me for entering the contest, and as a thank you Mabel's was offering to send me some free labels. Shouldn't I be thanking them for the opportunity?

I was thrilled ... because, since you already know that I like to make lists, surely you can appreciate that I love to label stuff, too. With cute pink and purple princess labels. Marnie assisted in our selection and we had fun picking out the perfect ones.

Yesterday, my package of free labels arrived - which was not a surprise. But guess what? Caitlin sent a hand-written note. A hand-written note? I didn't think anyone in the business world knew what a hand-written note was anymore ... not with e-mail and fax and Facebook and Twitter and all the other ways of communication. I honestly cannot remember the last time someone sent me a hand-written note ... in the mail ... especially from a business. Wait ... once an insurance company or a bank sent me something to sign, with a Post-It note indicating the spots I needed my signature or my initial ...

In any case, this small gesture reinforced my initial feelings about this company. It should not be forgotten that personalized attention along with those special touches are important in a business environment that thrives on e-mail and fax and the Internet. I can assure you that will receive personalized attention when dealing with Mabel's Labels. Somebody has surely taught Mabel the importance of good ol' fashioned manners!

In reality, it seems to me that I should be the one sending the "Thank You" note. It was Mabel's Labels who offered me the opportunity to write and offer some exposure to my website. And Mabel had to promote the contest and read all the entries and organize the entries and correspond with all the crazy mommy bloggers. She did all the work and the part I contributed ... the writing ... that was the fun part. So really, I should be the one saying thanks.

So, Mabel, and especially Caitlin ... consider this post my thank you. I hope that if even a couple of people who read this come to appreciate your product as much as I do, it will help to support your business.



Check out Mabel's Labels sometime ... it's an Ontario based business run by Moms for Moms.
This entry was posted on 11:03 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On April 27, 2010 at 11:15 AM , Mom said...

What a lovely "thank you" gift. I hadn't heard of MABEL'S LABELS until you brought the company to my attention, Jill. It sounds like a wonderful concept and I'm sure you will enjoy using their products.

 
On April 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM , Caitlin Madden - Mabel's Labels said...

Jill, it has been a pleasure getting to know you through the contest. We sent this post to the whole office for everyone to read and check out! You have absolutely made my day. I think I am going to bookmark this so I can come back & read it when I need a pick me up! : ) All the best, Caitlin