Author: jill
•9:09 AM
Recently I wrote a post as entry for Mabel's Labels BlogHer 2010 Contest. It is called Passionately Written ... click here to read it.

Since then I have been thinking a great deal about the Contest. Dictionary.com defines passion as the object of a fondness or desire. So basically, I have become passionate about Mabel's Labels BlogHer Contest, because I cannot stop thinking about it. I am constantly checking Twitter to see if there are any new entries, checking to see if Mabel's Labels has made any further comment on the Contest, checking The Yummy Mummy Club for any buzz on the contest. Checking my In-box for any comments left on my entry. Basically, I have become obsessed and a little (more) crazy ... because of a contest. And I never win contests. Ever. 

And, guess what? I am not thinking about my post. I am not worried that the judges won't like it or that I could have used a different word or a different approach. Nope, nothing like that. I wrote what I wrote and I am happy with it. It's probably not the most excellent piece I have ever written, but it is certainly not the worst either.

I am worried about what will happen if I actually win. I mean, I don't know how to put that little widget thingy on my webpage that says I won the Mabel's Labels Contest. I'm not extremely computer savvy. Maybe Mabel can help me ... or, Jonesy. Yes, Jonesy will know what to do.

And, how am I going to carry a laptop and a suitcase and a purse through a great big airport - all by myself? What if I cannot find the right Gate? And, God help me if there a stop-over ... or is it called a lay-over? Whatever ... what if I have to switch planes?

And, is it an all expenses paid trip? Or will I need money for my meals and coffee? 'Cause I have got to have a Latte every day. And speaking of meals, I am addicted to having my homemade granola atop some plain yogurt, with a little honey drizzled over it. I do not think I could live without it. Can I get that for my breakfast in NYC? Surely someone would make that for me, right?

And, how close to the Hilton is the Time Warner building? Because I might have to spend some of my precious time stalking Anderson Cooper. And will there be enough time to see The Martha Stewart Show? I love Martha. And, what about Times Square? Is it nearby? I bet it's near Anderson at the Time Warner building, so that could be a bit of a time saver  ...

And, I will have to continue my reading ... because I have a goal to meet. So, if I am sitting next to 80's MuchMusic icon Erica Ehm on the plane, will she think me rude for reading? Or, should I just chat with her? Because I am chatty and I'm sure she would have many stories to amuse me on the flight. So maybe I could just put my book away for a couple of hours. But, what if she actually boring? Or, snobby? I better have my book handy, just in case.

Do you see what it would be like to live with me?

And, how much cash should I bring? For instance, how much would a taxi fare run me from the airport all the way to the hotel? Jonesy and I took a taxi to a Christmas party from our house to downtown Windsor, about a fifteen minute drive on an average weekday morning, and it was $25. So, considering that the Hilton is much farther from the airport than my house is from downtown Windsor, it could be a very expensive car ride. I am not good with things like that. These are Jonesy's department; but Jonesy will not be with me. He will be exploring the unchartered waters of caring for three children around the clock all by himself. Who would you rather run into ... Jonesy, while parenting three children around the clock all by himself? Or me, trying to make my way through a crowded airport in NYC attempting to find my way to the Hilton Hotel? I'll let you decide.

Gratuities. I am not good at giving tips ... I always give way too much and always feel like it wasn't enough. And, it is something you have to plan for ... first, to actually have the coins or small bills - because I don't think the bellhop takes debit cards; and then to have the tip easily accessible - you know .. so you appear to be smooth and cool. Plus I'll have to have American money. Ugh ... this is getting more challenging by the minute. I have a feeling I won't look very cool.

I guess I should let you know ... I have NEVER travelled by myself. Without someone who has a genuine interest in my well-being. I am not a big girl in the world of travel. In fact, I can count the number of times I have been on an airplane on one hand. But one time, I took the train to Toronto with a work colleague on official business. And, I actually survived; so, maybe there is hope for me.

Now, please understand, that not only have I never travelled (on an airplane) by myself ... but I have never spent a night away from my children. Unless it was to have another one. So, basically, I have had a least one child in my charge since March 16, 2002 - the day Caiden came home from the hospital. I am not really sure what I would do with myself if I woke up and did not have to get someone's juice or toast.

Wait ... if I do not have to get someone else's breakfast, that would leave me with extra time to find my own breakfast. And, with extra time, I am pretty confident that I could find someone (in all of NYC) who would make me a yogurt parfait with granola sprinkled on top. I mean, I guess it doesn't have to be homemade granola. Or, I could bring a little Ziploc baggie with me, and sprinkle some of my own on top - I'm telling you, this stuff is like crack. Then, it would be just like home ... without the loud kids, the whining, the toast to make. And maybe the Parfait will be served in a fancy dish ... with fresh fruit, too.

And, I am willing to bet that there are no toys scattered around the floor at The Hilton; or, a stack of ironing whispering my name.  It could be worth the scary-ness of flying on an airplane all by myself ...

Maybe I could do this afterall. Perhaps all these crazy thoughts are just nervous energy. Or too much coffee this morning. Because, I would really love to win. Not just for the trip, but for the opportunity, too.

Imagine ... being paid to blog ... my dream. So inspiring. But ... what if the Mabel's Labels ladies don't like my ideas? Or, what if they don't like me? And, what if I have to go to a meeting at their office in Toronto and I cannot find the building? What would I wear? Do they dress really fashionably, or casually? Maybe I should buy something new.

Maybe I should buy myself some therapy...

Stay tuned, because if I make the Top 10, it can only get worse ...


PS Check out some of the other entries for Mabel's Labels BlogHer Contest ... click here.
This entry was posted on 9:09 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On March 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM , Anonymous said...

I LOVED READING THIS!!!! I laughed all the way through!! Great job.

 
On March 17, 2010 at 11:06 PM , annette said...

Jill, you'll do okay!!! The airport is not a scary place. LOL!!! Now, the airPLANE, that's another thing. Just kidding! I think that you could do anything on your own if you really had to. Good luck, when do you find out about the contest?

 
On March 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM , Caitlin Madden said...

Jill, April 12 with all the news will be here in no time! This post is hilarious - I love it! I thought I would just take a moment to answer a couple of your questions & hopefully put you at ease a little!
1. If you made it to Toronto or Buffalo you would be able to travel with one of the Mabel peeps or judges so you wouldn't be alone.
2. Mabel would cover the transportation, hotel & conference fees so you would need some coin for your Latte.
3. It will be my first time in NYC this summer and I would totally be up for sight seeing!
4. Erica is fabulously entertaining and fun.
5. Our HQ is in Hamilton not far from the Highway and Ruth from Customer Service is fab at giving directions so no worries about getting lost.
6. Fashionably casual. Most of us here are moms and understand when you wear a hoodie and jeans to work since you were unexpectedly up all night with a sick babe who showed no sings until midnight and you haven’t done laundry in a week and a half.

Best of luck & have a great weekend!
Caitlin from Mabel HQ!