Author: jill
•10:22 PM
I tried all weekend to get one done. I wanted to write a post marking my predictions for the winners at the Academy Awards. You know ... one of those really well-thought-out, insightfully written pieces. I wanted to be someone with an informed opinion.

Who am I kidding? I just wish I could have any opinion on the nominees.

I love movies, but I just don't get to watch them very often any more. Since January, I have been reading. A lot. And, writing. Prior to that, I guess I just didn't take the time. Perhaps I was too tired to concentrate on one thing for that long ... because when you have been cleaning up after Addie C. and therefore, are very tired, two hours (in a row) can be a long time.

Every year, I make the same pledge ... next year, I am going to watch all the films nominated for Best Picture before the Awards Show. That way, I can actually have an opinion. Otherwise, I am left cheering for the person whose dress I like the best, or judging a person's worthiness based on the movie they made three years ago, instead of the one they are nominated for. Next year ... I'm really gonna do it. There, now I've said it out loud, so I have to do it.

The best part for me is the Red Carpet. However, if you're a Mom with young children, you don't really get to enjoy it. It starts at 6pm, which for us Moms,  is about the same time the evening routine begins, starting with cleaning up the supper dishes. And, last night, we were just sitting down to eat our supper when they rolled out the Red Carpet.

As I sat, eating the stuffed chicken breasts with pan-seared corn (found in my new favourte cookbook, Food Matters by Mark Bittman), I wondered what the celebrities would be eating at Wolfgang Puck's annual party. The great thing about the Internet is that after about three clickety-clicks, I was staring at the full menu. Check it out ...

2010 ACADEMY AWARDS Menu
by Wolfgang Puck
with Chef Partner Matt Bencivenga
Desserts by Executive Pastry Chef Sherry Yard

Passed Hors d'Oeuvres
Tempura Shrimp and Lobster
Mini Kobe Burgers with Aged Cheddar and Remoulade
Wasabi Pea Crusted Crab Cake with Mango and Thai Basil
Smoked Salmon Pizza with Caviar and Dill Creme
Black Truffle and Ricotta Cheese Pizza
Vegetable Spring Rolls with Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce
Chicken Pot Stickers with Ginger Black Vinegar Dipping Sauce

Dinner
House Smoked Salmon, Potato Galette, Creme Fraiche and Baby Greens
with Butler-passed Warm Brioche
Black Truffle Chicken Pot Pie with Yukon Gold Potatoes, Baby Heirloom Vegetables and Homemade Pastry
Crust

Dessert
"L'Etoile de Oscar"
Baked Alaska with Espresso Glace, Guittard L'Etoile du Nord Chocolate Sorbet and Toasted Meringue


For me, I think I would have just filled up on the Passed Hors D'oeuvres and forgotten about the main ccourse. Every single thing is a favourite of mine ... shrimp and lobster are fabulous any time, any way. Little cheese burgers ... come on ... you know you'd love them too. Crab cakes are a small obsession of mine - I absolutely love them. I should make some; and then I could get out some of my fancy serving trays I recently rediscovered. Two kinds of pizza ... because two is better than one. Spring rolls ... honestly, I thought crab cakes would be the highlight of the menu until I saw that there would be spring rolls. I could live on Spring Rolls ... fresh or deep-fried ... I don't care ... just make sure that I get a lot of them. And finally, pot stickers ... love all Asian food. And just to get crazy, I might dip the Pot Stickers in the Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce, and the Spring Rolls in the Ginger Black Vinegar Dipping Sauce. But that's just me ... 'cause I'm crazy like that!

Where was I? Ah ... yes ... wishing I could see the dresses on the Red Carpet. Although I was all finished with bed-time routines in time to see Neil Patrick Harris sing his heart out, I only saw glimpses of the Red Carpet. I could be heard gasping as I walked by the television barking out orders to various children ...

"Ugh ... what could she have been thinking? Marnie, time to get your jammas on and brush your teeth ..."

Which may have been followed up with something like ...

"Marn, bring your jammas in here to get changed so you can see this lady's pretty dress  ... oh, and look at her hair ..."

Of course, Marnie really didn't care. But she is an oppportunist.

"Mommy, can I stay up late to watch this with you?" I think you know the answer to that question.

In case you care, my favourite dress of the night was Helen Miren's ... sophisticated, yet stylish and very flattering. Fancy yet not overly done. Colour looked great on her, too.

So,  I am already planning next year's Oscar party, because I'll actually be anxious to see if my favourites win. I'll be done my reading challenge on December 31st, so that give me three months - with nothing to do - in which to watch all the movies nominated for Best Picture. When do they announce the nominees? Better check into that - put it on one of lists, somewhere.

And maybe I'll make Wolfgang Puck's Passed Hors D'oeuvres and have a little appetizer party. Wanna come over?
This entry was posted on 10:22 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On March 10, 2010 at 9:26 PM , MOM said...

I'm there!