Author: jill
•3:55 PM
Did you watch the Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 Oympic Games in Vancouver? I am so proud to be Canadian. I am proud of our vast land and the people who inhabit it. I would not want to live anywhere else in the world. I love to visit other countries and cultures, but I always love to return home. Anyhow, there are lots of places to visit right in my own country ... lots of places I have not seen yet as a matter of fact.

The athletes parade into the arena, their eyes filled with wonderment and excitement for the possibilities. And the future. They are full of hope and ready to capitalize on their commitment. They have spent their young lives training and dedicating themselves to their sport - motivated by hope of Gold Medal, but they do it for their country, too. Imagine dedicating yourself to something wholly, until finally the day arrives and you get to test yourself. And show off what you can do. They have missed out on school activities, and dates,and parties, and sleepovers. So, for them, this is like the ultimate prom, with friends from around the world. The unfortunate thing is that everyone from your "school" shows up in the same dress.

I am not athletic. I was never a part of any team. I guess I always wanted to make sure my hair looked good and that I did not sweat in front of any cute guys. Silly ... but I was a teenager ... what else can I tell you? I have enjoyed the thrill of athletics through Jonesy and his stories of the glory days. The Junior Maroons were like Gods in our small town ... again, silly ... but we were teenagers ... what else can I say? Jonesy remembers his life revolving around hockey, and his hockey buddies. During hockey season, he had time for school and the Maroons ... and not always prioritized in that order. I think the boys were allowed to be late for school if they had a game out of town the night before ... the Vice Principal was a Junior Maroon veteran himself, you see. Certain benefits were extended, and missing first period to sleep in was one of them.

So, can we all catch the spirit? Not just the spirit of the Olympic Games, but the spirit to fill our own eyes with wonderment. And excite ourselves about the possibilities of our own futures. Make something happen for yourself ... it's never to late ... you're never too young or old to start. Come on ... you can do it! I'm goin to ... 

"I believe the time is right now; to stand tall and make the world proud; I believe together we'll fly; I believe in the power of you and I."

This entry was posted on 3:55 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: