Author: jill
•3:22 PM
Do you have a rotation of recipes? I mean, do you cook the same things over and over again? Recently, it seems as though I cook the same four or five meals. If my kids had their way, I would only cook spaghetti and meatballs, pizza, macaroni with cheese and chocolate cake. I just can't do it anymore. I need some variety in my life.

So, I am always on the lookout for new (inspiring) recipes; it gives me a reason to go into the kitchen. The other day I picked up Jonesy's latest read ... Food Matters by Mark Bittman. The beginning of the book is all about the food industry ... and frankly, I have read enough about that for now. Plus, I have my own reading list to keep moving on. So, I skipped that part and went straight to the recipes. Not only are there recipes, but there is a menu - for four weeks! It is a little sad and pathetic ... how much this excites me but it is exactly what I need ... someone else to decide what to have for each meal of the day. I am happy to cook it ... so long as I do not have to conceive of the dish myself.

Beginning, yesterday (February 22nd), I have been following the Menu in Food Matters. The recipes are fabulous and new and fresh; and even my kids enjoyed last night's supper ...stuffed chicken breast with wild rice on the side- and 2 out of 3 Jones children liked it! This is considered a success at my house.

But the very first recipe I tried in this book was one for granola. I always keep my eyes open for a good granola recipe ... one that does not focus on nuts. We have life-threatening allergies in our family ... so no nuts allowed! Bittman's granola incorporated nuts and seeds; so, I just doubled up on the seeds, and omitted the nuts. The recipes calls for whatever dried fruit you want ... guess what I found at The Bulkbarn? Dried blueberries ... they are like a little burst of sunshine in your mouth. A taste explosion. However, they are $20 per pound ... so, at our house, the taste explosions were not plenty. But the ones you got were so worth the wait (between bites). Caiden would have eaten a whole bowl of them, if I would have let him.

The granola keeps forever in the fridge; and it is good with milk, as cereal in the morning. Or try it with yogurt, or on top of ice cream, or just with fruit.

I hope Mr. Bittman doesn't mind that I posted his recipe here ... it's just too good not to share! Don't be surprised if I share my thoughts on other recipes as I move through the menu over the next four weeks ... when I find something good, I like to share it.


Anything Goes Granola (from Food Matters by Mark Bittman, 2009)

5 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking), or other rolled grains  I used oats, spelt and kamut (from The Bulkbarn!)
3 cups mixed nuts and seeds, like sunflower/pumpkin/sesame seeds
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut  I increased a bit because I did not use any nuts
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 to 1 cup honey  I used 1/2 cup, and I warmed it up a little before adding
Salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped dried fruit  I used raisins, apricots, cherries and blueberries

(1) Heat the oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts and seeds, coconut, cinnamon, honey and vanilla; sprinkle with a little salt. Toss well to thoroughly distribute ingredients. Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The granola should brown evenly; the darker it gets without burning, the crunchier it will be.

(2) Remove pan from oven and add dried fruit. Cool on a rack, stirring now and then until the granola reaches room temperature. Put in a sealed container and store in the refrigerator ... it keeps indefinitely.

Makes 9 cups. Enjoy.
This entry was posted on 3:22 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: