Author: jill
•9:30 AM
Recently, Caiden has shown an interest in art. How images are drawn, by hand or computer generated; colour combinations; he looks at Renoir or drawings of SpongeBob. He has a natural curiosity that is never satisfied. So, for his birthday this year, I got him some art supplies. A poster size sketch book, along with his own "artist" pencil crayons, oil pastels and charcoal. I wanted him to have some different mediums to experiment with. He loves it ... especially the charcoal.

Charcoal is really cool to use when drawing/sketching. It can produce a strong, bold line or it can be used for shading. Caiden likes to draw something and then rub his hands in the charcoal ... all over the page ... and his clothes ... and the bathroom sink. It is very messy; and in retrospect, perhaps, not my most intelligent shopping decision. But I wanted him to experience something new and interesting. And anyway, who said I do things the easy way?

Which brings me to the other morning.

I needed a few minutes to blow dry my hair; so I suggested that Addie C. find something to keep herself busy, and then we would go downstairs and make some lunch. Now, let's just stop at this point for a moment because there are a couple of things to address. First, I would like to point out the obvious ... that it is never a good idea to suggest an almost four-year-old little girl, who has a propensity to find trouble anyway, "find something to keep herself busy." This was just stupid on my part. The second point that needs to be mentioned is that because my hair is so long right now, she knew I would be otherwise occupied for quite a few minutes. My hair is ridiculously long; Caiden measured the length once and reported it to be twenty inches long ... not sure if that is correct, but I wouldn't mess with him and numbers. Anyhow, it takes ten to fifteen minutes to blow it dry ... so she had ten to fifteen minutes of free time ... to find something to keep herself busy.

When Addie C. heard the blow dryer click "off," she sauntered into the bathroom. Sweet smile on her face. I knew something was up.

"Hello, Mommy," she starts. "So ... what are we gonna do today?"

I notice there is something dark on the palms of her hands and ask what it is. She, of course, tries to hide them, look of terror on her face. I discover it is charcoal, and take off running into Caiden's room. Afraid of what I will find.

What I find is a drawing on the carpet ... with charcoal. Now, from an artist's perspective, I might like to point out that she has used strong bold lines and some nice shading, especially for an almost four-year-old ... who has a propensity to find trouble. But I am not an artist ... I am a mother. A very unhappy mother.

Addie C. immediately bursts into tears, full of regret. The thing that I truly do not understand, is that she knew it was wrong when she did it. But she did it anyway. And then she feels bad about doing it. So, when the idea crosses her mind ... to draw with the impossible-to-remove charcoal on the carpet in her brother's bedroom ... does she just lose all other thought process? Or, are they (the almost four-year-olds with a propensity to find trouble, that is) unable to look past the immediate gratification of doing something enjoyable? I believe Freud would remind me that children at this stage are ruled by the ID ... Addie C. is strongly ruled by the ID. I continue to hope that the SUPEREGO will get to work soon!!

The thing is ... I really like the picture. The little girl is darling ... something about the eyes and the big smile. I wish it was on paper ... because I would put it away in her memory box with all the other special art projects she has given to me. But this project ... I have to figure out how to remove.

Any ideas?


This entry was posted on 9:30 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On February 24, 2010 at 9:38 AM , annette said...

Jill, I like the drawing too. Addie sooo reminds me of Megan!!! No ideas how to remove it though, maybe vinegar? Good luck

 
On February 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM , Mom said...

Lots of budding artists in your family, it seems! I'm glad you were able to control your anger long enough to take a picture. I hate to say it, Jill, but I see lots of you in Addie C. (-: As for the carpet, Matt may need to rent a professional shampooer!