Author: jill
•11:11 AM
Somebody forgot to tell me that while I read, I have to continue my mothering ways. Apparently, the laundry will continue to build a pile and people around here still want interesting meals placed in front of them ... but there are pages to read and blog entries to compose. Now, I ask you ... which would you rather do?

The DaVinci Code took a little longer than expected. I mean, it is already January 11th and I have only read two books! Maybe I should take a different approach ... hey, did I mention it is only January 11th, and I have already read two books!?! And, I've started a third. 

DaVinci was a great read ... I don't think I have heard anyone say they did not enjoy it. Well, anyone I know that is ... because there are many critics out there. And I think you know which organization they belong to ... You have to remember that this is a work of fiction, not of fact. But I wish it was a biographical account - 'cause that would be fun. What if it really did happen, and Dan Brown just wrote it as a novel ... to maintain the secret.

Do you ever wish you could go on an action-packed adventure? I must want to, because I often have dreams like that ... on the run, time-oriented, looking for something or someone. Plus, I would get out of having to wash clothes and ceramic tile floors for a couple of days. I wanted to go on The Amazing Race so bad ... but I'll have to talk about that another time.

As a person who has recently found writing as an outlet, I cannot even fathom the amount of time and research that Dan Brown put into this book. I bet he doesn't have a three-year-old who wants snacks all the time. The references to religion, symbology, and real works of art are without end. I read the illustrated edition and found it helpful to see what Brown was describing; although, I am a very visual person and often seek out images to aid in my learning.

And, how on earth did he come up with the idea for the story in the first place? There has been a murder, but finding the murderer is not the primary goal. The main characters are on a different quest. The pace is unforgiving, moving from one tantalizing piece of information to the next. Since I love to figure stuff out, I was even trying to guess at the answers sometimes. Which, really, is just ridiculous since I have no knowledge (outside this book) of cryptology or codes or art history. But it was fun to try and I think that is one of the reasons it has gained such popularity ... the reader is along for the ride. 

According to Wikipedia, The DaVinci Code is one of the most popular books of all time and has sold more than 81 million copies worldwide. So, I'll assume you've read it. This was actually my second time reading it and I cannot believe how much I had forgotten. I must have been reading it (the first time) in a hormonal haze mixed with a little lack of sleep. The one thing that I do recall is that after reading it the first time, I really began to question religion. I think that I had already started down that road, and this book just fuelled my curiosity. But, more on that another time.

Obviously, a very enjoyable book. So many things to discuss, though. I think I will begin in an area of comfort ... because some topics are not so comfortable for me. Let's look at the some of the characters.

I think I feel most drawn to Silas. Surprised? I'm a helper ... my heart breaks for him and I just want to make it all better, even though he has done terrible things. Maybe my momoholism reaches out beyond my own children. His childhood is unthinkable - witnessing the murder of his mother, feeling responsible for it, taking his father's life and then living on his own on the streets from the age of seven. Honestly, that would be the end of most of us. To expect that a person is going to walk away from a situation like that and become a productive member of society is not reasonable. It ties back into the ideas I expressed in an earlier post, about the effects of losing a parent at a young age. But feeling responsible for the death of a cherished parent and then taking the life of the other -- forget about it. Incarceration for violent crimes seems like a very realistic outcome for a young man like Silas. He gets a second chance when he is found by Manuel Aringarosa, who treats him kindly and gives him renewed purpose. Silas is reborn as a good person, named after the Biblical figure whose life mirrored his own, but one who is used by his maker, to preserve his own agenda. For Silas, when he accidentally shoots Aringarosa, all was lost in that one moment- his purpose, his Father, his mentor, his life. As he stumbled around with Aringarosa in his arms, delivering him to those who could help, he must have felt so alone, and for that reason my heart goes out to Silas. He died alone in a garden.

My heart also goes out to Mary Magdalene - "the outcast one," as Brown refers to her. Have you ever felt like an outcast? Wanting to fit in, but you can't; being judged by those who have no right to judge. In the Bible, Mary Magdalene is portrayed as a sinner and as someone who is unworthy of even touching Jesus Christ; and now, today, everyone wants to be near her, the Holy Grail. Ever been mistaken about someone? I know I have; it is almost always regrettable to jump to conclusions about someone based on little information. I find it to be a common problem amongst teenage girls! After reading The DaVinci Code, I imagine Mary Magdalene not as an unwanted and shunned sinner, but as an intelligent, fightened woman, pregnant with the child conceived with the man she loves most, sneaking away and living in secrecy. Hiding her daughter, after watching her husband tortured. Two thousand years later, I just want to give her a hug and reassure her that everything will be okay. But that is just me, 'cause I am a helper.

Sir Leigh Teabing is, by far, the most entertaining personality in the book. Even Langdon describes Teabing as "a character." Sir Leigh provides the reader with an abundance of information, while remaining kinda funny and most certainly, full of surprises. Teabing and I would enjoy a fun banter should we have ever met. Of course, I would have had to kick his ass once I found out the truth about him. And I picture him to look like one of the Penn and Teller guys - the one who can talk; which is much different than the casting in the movie.

Robert Langdon himself is described as scholarly, a Harvard professor. In fact, I think it is commom knowledge that Brown modelled the character after himself. If I had been the casting director for the film, I would have chosen Harrison Ford. In the words of Elle Woods, he's "not totally unfortunately looking," and Harrison would look pedantic in a cardigan sweater or a tweed jacket. Plus, Forest Gump as a world-renowned authority on Religious Iconology and Symbology - please. Between you and me, I think Langdon sounds a little boring. Maybe too scholarly. I mean, could he carry on an interesting conversation outside symbology or art or history. Don't get me wrong - the things he knows are fascinating. But could you talk about them all the time? Eventually, he would impart all his knowledge upon you, and then what? Could he have fun at a hockey game? Would he have a Facebook page? Would he read this blog? I just don't think so...

Sofie Neveu will live the rest of her life with regret. She is a strong-willed woman who is not afraid to voice her opinion. She, too, is smart and educated and successful in her chosen field. I liked her, and I bet she has lots of friends. Although her tendancy to be stubborn and bull-headed cost her the relationship with her grandfather. I do not think I could have shunned my grandfather the way she did. Don't get me wrong, I can hold a grudge but he was her only family and she turned her back on him. And for that reason, I imagine she will live the rest of her life with regret. Actually, she is not unlike Mary Magdalene - both smart, strong women harbouring a secret that would change religion forever ... the same secret.

I just need to mention Captain Bezu Fache quickly. He is known by his colleagues as The Bull. His name (fache) translated into English means angry. Enough said. I picture him to be a short stocky guy, strongly opinionated, determined to get the bad guy; and he's not learned in the same scholarly way that Langdon is, but he is smart and very successful in his career. He reminds of a guy I know.
  
This is taking much longer than I imagined. This discussion, that is. It will continue ... on to more uncomfortable topics ...after the laundry is folded and the next load(s) are pushed through. Is it possible to fold, read and type at the same time? I'll get back to you ...

To read the second installment of my thoughts on The DaVinci Code, just click here.
This entry was posted on 11:11 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On January 12, 2010 at 10:34 AM , Anonymous said...

Hi Jill, I wish I would be able to express myself as you can. When I read your blog, I suddenly understand a lot more about the world we live in.
And I have to say, grown up in a sortlike religion as you are and being converted to a Roman Catholic (with force, because I wanted to marry one, 40 years ago!) I have much more believe in OURSELFS than in someone way up there!! Grietje