Author: jill
•1:24 PM
This is the second of two posts on The DaVinci Code. If you would like to read the first post, click here.

It was snowing this morning, as I walked the kids to the bus stop. Addison joined us because it looked like it would be fun ... walking in the snow, that is. Fresh footprints, the sounds of crunching snow as we walked. Do I have faith, I asked myself. Sometimes nature invokes self-reflection, and after a few days with The DaVinci Code, it seems this was the case with me this morning.

I have written this post three times. If you know me, you also know that I love to talk but there are a few things that I do not relish disussing. Money, politics, vaccines ... and religion. I think the reason I do not enjoy exchanging ideas on these issues is because, at their core, they are just personal choices. Choices that you have to make on your own; and what you choose to do/think/believe should not impact on what I choose to do/think/believe. Because it is personal.
Why am I going to talk about it? Well, it is at the core of The DaVinci Code. But, I am going to tread lightly, I think. My thoughts are certainly not intended to offend, just provoke thought ... and for some, that can be difficult.

Dan Brown references the word scotoma, in which he describes it as the brain's ability to use powerful preconceived notions (in the form of symbols) to block out inconsistencies seen by the eye. Dictionary.com defines scotoma literally as a blind spot. I love this because it so true. It is the idea that you believe something because you have been told it is true over and over, and when confronted with information contradicting your beliefs your mind protects you by blocking out the inconsistencies, overriding what your eye sees. Imagine a picture of a glass of milk - what comes to mind? Wholesome, healthy, nutritious ... makes a body strong, right? It is breastmilk from a cow, people. You do not need to drink milk to be strong or healthy. Now, imagine a glass of milk from a hippopotamus. Same thoughts jump to your mind? Probably not. I read recently that the brain is lazy and it searches for information that will agree with what it already knows and it ignores new information that conflicts with those ideas. Many of you will ignore what I have just written because it is easier.

Imagine for a moment that everything you learned at Sunday School was nothing more than a story. For some, this is almost incomprehensible. Most people I know grew up attending Church on Sunday. We learned about the Bible because our parents learned about the Bible when they were little and growing up. In fact, I can remember my Mom saying that one of the reasons she went to Church was so that I could go to Sunday School. I guess it was one thing she didn't have to teach me herself. She could take care of proper table manners, thank you cards, making my bed ... but leave religion up to the Sunday School Teacher. And, we did not question the teachings of our Church - they were just fact. The end. Just like I did not question table manners or writing thank you cards. However, after I learned the truth about Santa and the Easter Bunny, I should have thought to ask about the story of Jesus, too.

I have always relied on facts. It is how my brain operates. Give me the information, I will assimilate it in with what I already know and I will generate an opinion. If the new information does not fit in with what I already know, I will seek out more information. Dictionary.com defines faith as a belief that is not based on proof; at the cornerstone of religion is faith. Belief in God/Jesus without any proof. Some will say that The Bible provides all the proof we need. But I need a reference source, something to authenticate the story and many are poking holes in the story; it seems that one question leads to another. The DaVinci Code forces many questions ...

To research it all for yourself would take a huge load of time; and frankly between three kids, reading one hundred books in one year and the laundry, I just don't know if I'll be able to fit it in right now. But it would be a real journey ... maybe next year.

I believe there was a man named Jesus Christ, who was a powerful leader. I even believe in many of the ideals he taught - honour thy parents; do not murder; do not covet your neighbour's house/wife/ox; do not steal. These are all great values to live by and I teach them to my children. It's the part about the Virgin Mother and the Kingdom of Afterlife that I have reservations about.

Religion is based in fear, or in instilling fear in others. Scare others into thinking like you do. Safety in numbers, right? Conformity. Be like us. Do what we do. Join our group. It is actually the hallmark of adolescence. And we expect these young kids to find their own way ... some do and others get lost. To be completely honest, I respect those who have a strong belief in God/religion. It is wonderful that so many have found something that gives them strength to get through difficult times and bring them together with other like-minded folks. What I do not understand is why some individuals/groups find it difficult to respect the decision of some to find strength from other sources.

Since Roman Catholicism is at the heart of The DaVinci Code, I will pick on it. And, I've had some experience with it as well. Although I grew up as a member of an Anglican Church, I went to a Roman Catholic School for my Grade 8 year. Why? Well, that is a story for another day. I was an outcast ... not by the kids, but by the Church. I was not allowed to participate in the religious service or rituals because I had not been confirmed in the Roman Catholic Church. There were three or four of us who were excused from Communion and confession. The other kids thought we were lucky, but it made me curious. What happened in that little room, between my friends and "God," who was actually Father Somebody. I would ask them and their responses were all the same.

"We confess our sins," each of the girls would tell me.

"What kind of sins?" I would press them, eager for more information.

"Like, if I was angry with my Mom. Or I yelled at my sister. Or, I wished I had a new pair of shoes like Mary Lou," they would explain.

You mean, you had to be sorry for acting like an adolescent? I kept my thoughts to myself and as time went by, I began to see myself as the lucky one, too. Because I did not have to participate in this act every month. But it did make me feel different from them. It was as though I was not good enough to participate in their rituals. But I thought the Church welcomed everyone? I guess, maybe they meant that they would welcome anyone who would officially join up by promising a weekly tithe. Do not forget that the Church is a business and they need money to survive. And survive they do. According to the Economic Report for the Holy See 2000 the Church closed with a net gain of more than $8.5 (US) billion for that year, as it had for the past eight years running. In fact, my resident business expert, Matt Jonesy, told me that The Roman Catholic Church is considered one of the most successful businesses. Ever.

Brown skillfully intertwines fact and fiction. Pieces of information are expressed through the voice of a character, especially Leigh Teabing and sometimes it is difficult to decipher what is actual fact and what is interpretation. On the first page of the book, Brown assures us that the artwork, architecture, documents, and the secret rituals in the novel are accurate. However, there is a fine line because Teabing and Langdon often began an explanation by referencing a book or a document; but it becomes a little unclear where the factual information ends and where opinion/speculation of the character begins. I can understand why this story caused such a stir in the media when it was released.

The bottom line is that the very basis of the Church and its teachings are questioned. The role of women in the Church is challenged. The Opus Dei and its practices are brought into awareness and are not portrayed in a flattering light. This book does not make one want to run out and become a member of the Roman Catholic Church. It makes you question things.

I wonder if Dan Brown realized the can of worms he was opening when he handed in this manuscript. There is a scene in The DaVinci Code where Langdon remembers a discussion with his editor, Jonas Faukman, over his most recent manuscript. Faukman is extremely skeptical that Langdon can substantiate his claims and fears the backlash once the book hits the stands. I suspect that conversation is based on his editor's reaction to this book.

I am convinced Dan Brown says it best. He was interviewed last year on The Today Show and he says, "I do something very intentional and specific in these books. And that is to blend fact and fiction in a very modern and efficient style, to tell a story. There are some people who understand what I do, and they sort of get on the train and go for a ride and have a great time, and there are other people who should probably just read somebody else." I, for one, enjoyed the train ride.

As so, I return to the question of what I believe. As my three little miracles skipped ahead of me, giggling and catching snowflakes, I realized that I have faith in them. If I have to believe in something blindly, I choose them. As a matter of fact, I have faith in myself, too. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  
This entry was posted on 1:24 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: