Author: jill
•11:38 AM
"The less routine, the more life."
Amos Bronson Alcott, 1799- 1888


Once again the house is quiet. One little girl does not make very much noise ... there is no one to fight with, there is no reason to compete for attention. So, the house is quiet. The quote by Alcott is something I should embrace a little more. But it is difficult for me ... I enjoy routine and schedules ... so, for me, I'm a "Woo-Hoo: It's Quiet Girl!!"

When everyone is here, and there is yelling and crying and squealing and laughing and goofing, I long for the quiet. I mean, sometimes I go in the bathroom and lock the door and pretend it is quiet. Pretend there are no voices in the distance fighting over Barbies or screaming because a new high-score was not achieved. But once the quiet is here, I ache for them - the noise makers. I guess that old saying is true - you always want what you cannot have.

There were tears last night and this morning. It is hard to get back into routine for my little ones. Caiden will always struggle with change and transition - it is who he is. I think Marnie has learned it from her brother; by observing his reluctance to go to school. She has learned to dwell on the negative instead of embracing the positive. She was worried the kids would squish her because they all want to sit next to her during "carpet time." When I had a break from school, I can remember feeling nervous because I was afraid nobody would want to play with me. We should all be as lucky as Marnie ... imagine going to a meeting, and arriving to find your fellow colleagues arguing and pushing each other out of the way to get the chair next you. Jonesy and I often entertain ourselves by imagining children's behaviour in adult situations ... try it sometime ... like crying at the office because you did not get the last doughnut! Or, throwing a temper tantrum because your boss picked someone else. Or, wearing a princess costume into the office - this would be my favourite.

But the tears passed and they ran into the playground eager to see friends they haven't seen since way back in 2009.

And, Mommy returned to her last load of laundry, a very large pile of ironing and a dirty house that has not been cleaned in two weeks. Many things of her own to face ... not the least of which is a book, started yesterday afternoon and calling my name. It is difficult to ignore because it is so quiet in here. Cleaning can wait ...
This entry was posted on 11:38 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: