Author: jill
•3:03 PM
There is one thing every year. The thing that Santa just can't find. And, maybe it is because Santa didn't get her shopping done soon enough. Or, maybe the stupid company did not make enough of the thing. Or, maybe it is some thing that nobody has ever heard of.

This year it was the Barbie Dream Camper, and trust me, everyone has heard of it. The reason that it was not under our Christmas tree on the morning of December 25th was because Santa did not get her shopping done soon enough, I guess. That, and Walmart put them on sale for a great price, did not have enough of them, and then sold out of them in one morning. The morning that I did not even see the flyers until the afternoon. I did not know about the fabulous price until it was too late. The sales associate in the Toy Department told me that the Barbie Dream Camper sold out before nine o'clock in the morning, on the morning I did not see the flyers until the afternoon.

So, Jonesy and I searched all over the tri-county area for a Barbie Dream Camper. We could not find one anywhere and I would have paid triple the Walmart sale price if I could have found one. Let me clarify that I was willing to pay triple the price; I don't think Jonesy would have agreed with my craziness but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have happened if I could have found one. A last minute business trip to Toronto meant that Daddy was literally travelling across Southwestern Ontario a couple of days before Christmas; which also meant that the shopping malls available to me just increased dramatically. So I phoned every Walmart and Toy R Us between Windsor and Mississauga in the hopes of finding just one Barbie Dream Camper tucked away on a shelf. I hid in our closet, the door shut, crouched over a piece of paper with phone numbers scribbled on it, whispering to some stranger on the other end. Begging this stranger, who would not have to deal with the look of disappointment that I could not bear to face. There were none to be found.

So, Santa brought an awesome Barbie dollhouse instead. It stands almost as tall as she does. It is like a country house, decorated in soft pastels and pretty things. The furniture is adorable and I know that it will be a source of lots of fun. But it's not a Barbie Dream Camper. And, I did have to deal with the look of disappointment ... the look all parents dread on Christmas morning.

Santa was really not herself this year because not only did she create the whole Barbie Dream Camper fiasco, but she brought new colouring books without remembering to include new crayons and/or markers. Basically, Santa sucked this year. So, Marnie and I decided to go hit up some after Christmas sales and buy some new crayons and markers and whatever other colouring supplies we could find that would replace a Barbie Dream Camper. We were having a great time ... looking at the markers, checking out some other crafty supplies, chatting with a new mother of twin girls (sooooo cute!).

And then, she spotted it. A Barbie Dream Camper!! I wanted to take the Barbie Dream Camper and throw it across the store and scream at the top of my lungs. I can only assume that it had been returned. If I could have snuck it past her brother and sister, I would have bought it for her. But, how could I explain the new toy to the others?

"Sorry, you guys, but Santa brought the things that you asked for ..."

We left the Toy Department, without the Barbie Dream Camper, in search of mozzarella cheese for lasagna. Same look of disappointment again for the second time in a week. Same Mommy scrambling for ideas.

"Come on, Marn. Let's go find some frosting and we'll try out your new cupcake maker and decorating pen, okay?"

It is funny how the same thing that could have made one little girl's Christmas morning a complete success is so casually tossed aside by another little girl. I bet she wanted a Barbie dollhouse that stood as tall as she is.
This entry was posted on 3:03 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On December 28, 2009 at 5:16 PM , Mom said...

I can't believe that the Barbie Camper was there!

 
On December 29, 2009 at 10:01 AM , Anonymous said...

Just buy it for her birtday (or let granny do so!!) Grietje :)