Author: jill
•10:31 AM
I have written about this before ... I am very suggestible. That is, just mention something that you like and it will fester in my brain until I must have it, too. Especially, if it is related to food. But it was never worse than when I was pregnant. Oh boy ... someone would mention the disgusting scalloped potatoes they had at a dinner party and three days later there would be a flurry of activity in my kitchen until the perfect creamy rich scalloped potatoes were served. See? Just writing that makes me want to get into the kitchen. It's a problem.

So, during the Olympics, I was reading Lainey's blog. She is a gossip and she is funny and bitchy and I wish I was her friend for real. Check her out some time, if you like to laugh at celebrities. Anyhow, Lainey was involved in CTV's Olympic Coverage; and as such, she had a very demanding schedule. She signed up for the Five Factor Diet; and wrote about  Yogurt Parfaits for breakfast. I had never had a Yogurt Parfait before, and I wasn't even sure what it was. But, suddenly I knew I had to have one.

It was about the same time that I discovered the awesome granola that I cannot live without. So, I decided to marry the two. Yogurt Parfaits with Granola Crunch. To be honest, Lainey's Parfaits might have had the granola, too. I just don't know, and I do not care. I just knew that I had to have a Yogurt Parfait with Granola Crunch and I had to have it now.

So, I started buying the plain (unsweetened) yogurt, topping it with some (pure fruit) raspberry sauce that I made and the granola. Maybe a little honey drizzled over the top. It was so good, I started eating it twice a day. I became very ... ummmm ... regular. Isn't that what old people say? I felt great and that is the important part. Why aren't more people eating these?

But as with most things, I had to take it a step further. What if I made my own yogurt? I could use organic milk and it would be fresh. Plus - and this would be a real selling point to Jonesy - I bet it would save money. So, I did some reading and decided that, although not required, a Yogurt Maker would be the easiest way to do it. Because it is all about temperature and temperature control. And if you are going to make your own yogurt, you should do it the easy way.

Now, just to find a Yogurt Maker.

Actually, it did not take me long to find one at (my favourite "cooking" store) Williams Food Equipment. Do you know what their slogan is? The Candy Store for Cooks - enough said.  Jonesy had a very concerned look on his face as I walked out the door that day. Because it is really difficult to come home with just that one thing you went there to buy. What am I saying ... it is difficult for me to go to any store and come home with just the one thing I intended to buy. But this is different ... because I could drop a lot of cash in a very short time at a place like Williams Food Equipment. And so, the worried look on Jonesy's face was probably a little warranted. But off Addison and I went, in search of a yogurt maker ... you know, to save us money.

I bought a WaringPro Yogurt Maker ... it is so easy and straight-forward. Honestly, the worst part was that I had a bunch of big bowls and a large pot to wash by hand when I was finished. And the waiting ... the waiting was hard. Because I was sure it wouldn't set and you are not allowed to move "the Maker" once the process begins. So I didn't ... and, guess what? It is fabulous ... to eat and to bake with. And I even made some yogurt cheese (similar to cream cheese) - I can envision lots of ways to use this in the future, especially with summer almost upon us. Couldn't love this new purchase any more than I do because it fills me with lots of great ideas.

Plus, after an afternoon with a calculator, I was able to confirm with Jonesy, that making my own yogurt is definitely more cost effective than buying it. I can make about 2 1/2 times the yogurt for the same price as the container I purchase at the store. Does that make sense? I buy a 750ml container of organic yogurt for about $6; for that same price, I can make 2L. And it is fresh, easily produced in my own kitchen.

The only thing is ... you are suppose to save some yogurt to act as a starter for the next batch of yogurt. And I didn't. So, now I will have to go back to Williams to get the special Yogurt Culture starter.

Oh, well ... I guess I'll have to go back. I can't just leave my brand new yogurt maker sitting around, not making yogurt. So, yes, I will definitely have to go back. Jonesy has that worried look again ...

This entry was posted on 10:31 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On April 22, 2010 at 12:16 PM , Mom said...

Sweet picture of my darling granddaughter. I'm glad you are enjoying your new yogurt maker. However, I think I'll continue to buy mine already prepared. This "old dog" doesn't want to learn new "tricks"! lol