Author: jill
•10:53 AM
     A friend asked if I had a good muffin recipe. I love making muffins; I make them all the time. But this was, sort of, special because my friend needs a muffin recipe to make breakfast interesting (again) for her little one-year-old punkin, Theo. Eventually, they all start to exhibit their independence by deciding what tastes good, and boring ol' cereal just won't do forever.     When my little punkins were littler, I baked them muffins three or four times a week ... some cut up fruit, and maybe a little piece of cheese, along side their warm muffin and they would be quiet for at least an hour until I inevitably heard, "Mo muffin pease."
     This was my "go-to" muffin recipe, found in Anne Lindsay's Smart Cooking (1986). In the past, I have quadrupled this recipe, baked it in commercial-sized baking pans and served it as a part of the (nutritional) snack program at my children's school. And the reason I know kids like it, is because on the mornings I arrived at the school with my huge containers of Oatmeal Muffin squares, kids would cheer and tell me it was their favourite school snack.
     So, I hope Theo likes it, too.

Oatmeal Raisin Muffins

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk (or soy milk works great, too) mixed with the juice of 1/2 a lemon)
1 cup all-purpose flour (or 1/2 whole wheat flour, 1/2 all-purpose flour)
1 tbsp natural bran
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins or chopped apricots (optional)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or use 1/2 oil, 1/2 fruit puree)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten

Stir the rolled oats into the buttermilk and let stand while you get everything else ready.

Preheat the oven to 375F. Line 12 muffin cups with papers,or grease muffin cups with butter.

Mix together flour, bran, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and raisins, if using. Stir oil, sugar and egg into buttermilk mixture; blend well. Stir liquid mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until combined.

Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until firm to the touch.

** I have baked this recipe in an 8-inch square pan (for about 25 minutes) and called it "Breakfast Cake." My kids think they are getting something really special!

     On a completely different note, if you are not interested in low sugar and healthy muffins ... you know, something super yummy but not to be eaten every day ... give this a try or these. Oh my god ...
This entry was posted on 10:53 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On August 18, 2011 at 10:38 AM , Mom said...

Lucky me!! I got to sample them both!! YUM!!!