Author: jill
•12:40 PM
It's Wednesday ... and it's suppose to be wordless. However, I have been kinda quiet lately, don't you think? So, I am pretty sure that I cannot be wordless today.

Luckily, that doesn't mean that I cannot have lots of pictures, too.

We spent our Victoria Day much the same as families all over Canada, I suppose. The kids played at the park, Mommy did a little laundry and Daddy did a little barbequing.

But the sure sign that summer has arrived is that we made S'mores for dessert.



Begin with excellent ingredients. Graham Crackers, chocolate, and of course, marshmallows. A couple of things about ingredients - don't be afraid to get creative. Caiden has life-threatening allergies to nuts, so finding chocolate has been a bit of challenge. I will have to admit to having used chocolate chips in the past; however, (my hero) Jonesy found some chocolate wafers at The BulkBarn. They were perfect and I would recommend checking them out if you make S'mores at your house. We used milk chocolate for the kids, and dark chocolate for us adults ... 'cause we're sophisticated n' stuff. I would also recommend using chocolate with nuts, if you are lucky enough to be able to do so. Don't tell my kids, but I have used chocolate with almonds after they have gone to bed. What? Parents do stuff that is fun after their kids go to sleep? Like I said ... don't tell on me. In place of graham crackers, I have tried Simple Pleasures cookies. The spice snaps with melty chocolate and gooey marshmallow ... well, do I need to say any more? Or, the social teas? Or the chocolate wafers?

In any case, gather all your ingredients and head outdoors. Don't forget a glass of wine ... red compliments the chocolate so nicely.



Now, Daddy takes over because he is the king of barbeque. And I readily support this because then I can relax and enjoy my kids and a glass of wine ... not always in that particular order.



While Daddy perfectly toasts the marshmallows, have someone in your family entertain you with interesting stories or absurd questions. This time, Caiden read his latest story to us. He just read Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney as was inspired to write a diary of his own. My favourite part is the "Copywrite 2010" ... look closely and you'll see it.



Finally, the S'mores are ready to eat.





Three happy kids = One Happy Mommy + One Happy Daddy



Now, in some cases, it is necessary to forego the boring graham cracker and just get the good stuff in the middle. Which I think pretty much exemplifies Addison's life.



Then, after you're all done, you get to just relax. And be kinda silly ... which is really what a holiday is all about, isn't it?
This entry was posted on 12:40 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On May 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM , Mom said...

What great pics of the kids! Sorry we couldn't be there to join in the fun. I'll go to the Bulk Barn and find the peanut-free chocolate so we can make S'Mores while camping on Father's Day week-end.