Author: jill
•3:15 PM

At Christmas time this year, my children were introduced to some friends of their Grama and Grampa Jones. As a special treat, one friend, who became known as The Money Man because my girls can never remember his name, gave each of the kids five dollars to spend however they chose. We tucked the money away for something to do on a boring, snowy day. As it turns out, this past Saturday, although not snowy, was indeed very boring. Marnie woke up ready to spend her five dollars.

After some thought, I suggested we check out Dollarama. Look, I know it is stuff for a dollar, but when you are a little girl, it doesn't really matter where you get your stickers from. It just matters that you get the stickers. There are lots of crafty supplies at Dollarama and I assumed she would pick up five crafty supplies. But what do I know? She selected a little hair stylist kit, complete with a pretend hairdryer and lots of pretty things for Barbie's hair; and she also got a little purse set. But she is like her mother because she went for the high-end stuff ... two bucks for each set. However, her father has had some influence as well because she was quick and decisive in her shopping endeavour. We were in and out of there on Saturday afternoon in five minutes flat.

When we arrived home with Marnie's treasures, we were met with tears of disbelief from a little sister. I quickly explained that I was planning to take her shopping when the big kids went back to school on Monday. So, on Monday morning I was greeted bright and early by a three-year-old, completely dressed in beautiful shopping attire, asking if we could go to the store immediately.

"Can I give the lady my money when we pay? Like a big girl?" Addie asked while we drove over to Dollarama. I assured her she could, enjoying the excitment that a shopping trip could generate in such a little girl. And they all like to hand over the cash, don't they? Marnie wanted to do the same thing ...

I soon learned that when shopping with Addie, you must check each item in the store before a final decision can be made. And I don't mean strolling up and down the aisles, just taking in the sights. I am pretty sure she touched every single thing she could reach in the store.

"And, what's dis?" she would ask, turning the item over in her little fingers.

The thing about little kids is that they don't care about the price tag, and they don't care if it says Armani on the side or "made in China" on the bottom. Whether she had a million dollars or one dollar, she was going to take the time to make the right decision. Which involved knowing all her options before a final decision could be reached.

Sometimes, a girl just knows and other times, she needs try things on. As in the case of the slippers. Addison loves shoes ... alot. She wears them all the time and even sleeps in them. I have written about the problem before. So, I'm sure you can understand that the shopping trip came to a halt in front of the slippers. She must have tried on ten different pairs of one dollar slippers, most of which were too big for her. But you just don't know 'til you try ... even if your Mom tries to tell you.

The first item finally selected, we made our way a little further down the aisle and the slippers were quickly tossed aside for a pair of pink (imitation) crocs. And so our shopping trip at Dollarama went until we had the crocs, a little plastic purse filled with all kinds of cool stuff and a Valentine's Day Heart charm to clip onto the little purse. And as promised, she handed the clerk her money just like a big girl. She got one cent back in change.

On our way home, she chattered happily about her purchases.

"But you know what the best part is?" she asked me.

"No, Addie. What is the best part?" I asked.

"Daddy will be happy at me 'cause the lady gave me some money back, that's what," she explained.

She probably has a point there ... Why? 'Cause Mommy doesn't often do that, that's why.
This entry was posted on 3:15 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: