Author: jill
•5:11 PM
Labels. I love to label my stuff. Spices, the different types of rice I have collected, craft drawers, Christmas decorations. You do it, too, I bet. It makes everything concise and easy to identify. And, it looks pretty and organized, too.

However, I do not like to label people. Because no matter what, people are never easy to identify ... in my opinion. Rarely is there one word to describe a person. And assuming that you know everything about a person based on one of their traits is just wrong ... on so many levels.

A label is a lazy way of describing a person or a group; a way of singling them out from others. But most unfortunately, it leads people to ignore all the other traits about that person, aside from the thing(s) they are labelled as being. Does that make sense? Slow learner, fat, has cancer, air-head, soft-hearted, pretty ... once used, these things become the person. For instance, if you are told that a person is blind, then being blind is really the only thing you can associate with that person; even though she may be a fabulous cook.

"Have you met my Aunt Patsy?" you might ask a friend.
"Oh, is she the Aunt who is blind?" your friend replies. Not the great cook, not your Dad's sister, not the jokester, not the Aunt with the fabulous new apartment ... the one who is blind.

You've heard of that famous study, right? The one where the teacher (Jane Elliott) makes the blue-eyed children superior for a day (over the brown-eyed children). These children get a longer recess, a little extra lunch ... they're special. Because of the colour of their eyes. And the brown-eyed children learn that there is nothing they can do to change their status because they cannot change the colour of their eyes. These were the same children who, on the previous day, had responded that black people were dumb and could not hold jobs ... based solely on the colour of their skin. Of course, if this same study were conducted in today's classroom, the kids would all come to school the next day with coloured contacts ...

I think we can all learn things about ourselves from considering studies like this. What do you think when you notice a person who is over-weight? Or a person who runs (for exercise)? You make assumptions, don't you? We all do ... so don't worry, because you are not alone. Elliott went on to do diversity training with some major corporations in the United States in the 1980s. It is okay to identify the differences in us, so long as they do not define us as people. I would hate to think that people jump to conclusions about me because I have long hair, or because I have three children, or because I like to sew.

Brown-eyed girls, geeks, jocks, blind, poor, famous, ... labels, although seemingly complimentary at first, inevitably impart a negative connotation. Because it points out something that is different from the norm; and everyone wants to feel part of the group, right? Maybe you are thinking to yourself ... who wouldn't want to be known as rich and/or famous? But it is important to remember there are expectations associated with everything. If you visit a friend who is wealthy, do you expect to be treated to a fancy dinner? Or, is it okay that burgers and hotdogs are served? Because if you are unhappy with anything less than prime rib, perhaps you should take a look at your motives for friendship.

And, if people think you are smart, you are expected to be smart ALL THE TIME. But, what if you just want to goof off for awhile, and leave quantum physics behind? Can you? Will people let you be a goofball for an afternoon?

Why is it so important for some people to be "the same?" I'll tell you why ... because there is safety in numbers. Being part of the group provides some with confidence and security.

I revel in the things that make me different from you. I love that you can hit the heck out of a golf ball ... because I cannot. And, did you say that you love gardening? Because I am pretty sure that I have murdered just about every single plant I have ever owned. In fact, there is a plant on the table in the foyer who is shaking with fear right now. But there are lots of things that I am really good at ... things that may not be your area of expertise. I can bake the best cheesecake you have ever tasted - guaranteed. I am a self-proclaimed expert in the field of infertility. I taught myself to crochet and cable knit ... no small feat. I'll tell you about it one day. So, don't just think of me as a plant murderer ... because there is so much more to me than that.

Today is World Autism Awareness Day. Don't think you know everything there is to know about the complicated disorder known as Autism. Educate yourself.

If you want to learn more, click here.
This entry was posted on 5:11 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On April 2, 2010 at 9:34 PM , Derek Cummings said...

I appreciate the nod to Autism Awareness Day and the link was a great touch too.

 
On April 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM , Mom said...

Thanks for this informative post. I read the links and learned alot!!!