Author: jill
•9:54 PM
Have you met Addie C. Jones? I swear she is a clone of the popular children's series hero, Junie B. Jones. They both stomp their feet when they're angry, they both wear some crazy clothes and they both get into a lot of mischief. But luckily, only one of them lives at my house.

We just started reading this series at my house, but with each chapter I read to the girls, it seems like I am reading about my little Addison. Honestly ... Junie B.'s mannerisms, her use of language, her crazy ideas ... it's all Addie. In Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business, Junie B. accepts gifts from her friends in exchange for being the first one to see her new baby brother until an all-out bidding war is taking place on the school playground. Addison Claire would do this ... she would take gifts from kids in exchange for a glimpse of her new baby brother. Of course, if Addison had a new baby brother she may have to take gifts to raise the funds for her mother's weekly therapy sessions.

Anyhow, today I am feeling like some kind of distinguished Super Heroine. I have put away three loads of laundry, while number four and five are in the washer and dryer, respectively. I baked a little snack cake with a caramel topping. I got some good news about my blog and I did a little reading. And, I made homemade (from scratch) turkey pot pies. That is when the trouble began.

As I was chopping and bubbling away in the kitchen, Addie C. came in and asked for two bottles of water.

"Why?" I asked. "Why do you need two bottles of water?"

" 'Cause I'm growin' flowers," she explains. What a sweet little thing, pretending to grow flowers in the wintertime. She wants to bring a little sunshine to us, I think to myself.

"Just for pretend, right Addie?" I answer for her. "You may use two empty bottles."

"No, I just wanted some water," she insists.

"Well, no," I insist. "We cannot grow flowers in the house."

"Oh, okay," she says. "Let's take them outside and grow them then."

"Well, it's too cold today, but maybe we can do that in the Spring," I suggest. She seems to think this is a good idea and wandered off, singing happily, leaving me to continue with the chopping and the bubbling and the stirring.

A couple of hours later, Big Sister Marnie arrives home from school and goes to check on the status of her room. Marnie does this everyday to ensure that everything is just as she left it this morning. Today, there is a high-pitched scream when she reaches the top of the stairs, followed by sobbing.

Addie C. Jones has been growing flowers in Marnie's bedroom. Marnie received a craft project from her Nana as a Christmas gift. It has little itty, bitty beads; lots and lots of little itty, bitty beads. Itty bitty beads that look like seeds, as it turns out. The little red beads seeds have been sprinkled around on the carpet. Now, as luck might have it, the Easter Bunny was nice enough to bring the cutest little gardening set for each of the girls last year. So, fortunately, there was a watering can nearby and the carpet had been watered to ensure the flowers would grow really big. I am still not entirely sure where the water came from but I suspect there is no water left in Marnie's bedside glass. Then a little glitter powder had been added for good measure. 'Cause what are bead flowers without the glitter?


Honestly, she is really sweet. For instance, just today, Addie C. told me that when her birthday comes she wants to buy new earrings for her big sister. Now, even though she just wants to replace the ones that she lost down the bathroom sink, that is still really nice. Don't you think?

I felt it my duty, as her mother, to attach this photo taken a couple of weeks ago. We told her that we were going to a restaurant to celebrate the Christmas Holidays, and that it was important to put on something pretty to wear. This is how she presented herself, feeling as pretty as a princess. Mean 'ol Daddy, put his foot down, explaining there was a "No Pyjamas" rule at the restaurant. So, she had to settle for a cute little jean skirt and a warm wintry shirt.

I guess I forgot one other thing I did today - I also cleaned up a flower garden. So, what did you do?
This entry was posted on 9:54 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On January 12, 2010 at 10:42 PM , Nana said...

So hard to stiffle my smile, Jill. I guess Marn's Christmas craft gift wasn't such a good idea, huh?

 
On January 13, 2010 at 8:06 AM , annette said...

Jill, Addie sounds adorable, and reminds me of my Megan (sold her barbies door to door in our neighbourhood when she was around 8; my neighbour next door called me to tell me) She's a ray of sunshine but can really push my buttons!
Guess you'll have to start a real garden this spring.( one more thing to do on your list)